This recipe was adapted from The Whole Foods Diet.
- 150 g raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 300 g assorted mushrooms
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 5 dl mushroom broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or dill, for garnish
Halve or quarter smaller mushrooms and thickly slice larger ones. Place mushrooms and shallots in a heavy pot and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms begin to brown; add broth a few tablespoons at a time to keep mushrooms from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook, adding more broth as needed, until mushrooms are browned and softened, 10 to 12 minutes.
Stir in remaining broth, mustard, paprika and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer until mushrooms are very tender and sauce is thickened, about 25 minutes. Stir in ½ of cashew cream. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with remaining cashew cream on the side. It’s excellent served over barley or potatoes from the oven!